From top left clockwise: jelly flats from Yves Saint Laurent, Chanel, Tod’s, Pedder Red, Sergio Rossi, Jimmy Choo and Melissa.
As the weather heats up (and my hair gets frizzier) I have started to think about my summer wardrobe. Every year I always invest in a pair of simple but versatile jelly flats that I can wear to the beach or sunset drinks. While PVC isn’t the most breatheable fabric in the summer heat, it’s great on holiday because it’s durable and easy to clean. Plus you can get your shoes wet without damaging them (unlike my delicate leather flats!). This season I’ve already seen plenty of chic jelly styles as brands such as Givenchy and Marc Jacobs add new styles to their summer collections. Here are a few of my top picks.
1) Yves Saint Laurent Biarritz thongs (HK$1,790): These are perfect for the poolside and come in summer’s hottest shade, red. The heart shaped toe is a cute touch. Available at Yves Saint Laurent, Alexandra House, Central, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2868 0092.
2) Chanel black and white rubber sandals (HK$2,300): There are so many things I love about these flats – the chic monochromatic palette, the feminine Camellia and of course the quilted rubber sole. And at this price, who can resist? Available at Chanel, Prince’s Building, Central, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2810 0978.
3) Tod’s Jelly flip flops (HK$1,500): The devil is in the details on these simple T-strap thongs. I love the tassel dotted with small studs and the discreet T logo plate. The adjustable strap is great when you are feeling lazy. Available at Tod’s, Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2918 9688.
4) Pedder Red bow sandals (HK$455): I am not a fan of unnecessary accoutrements (ie shoe bling) but for you girlie girls out there, try these bow sandals decorated with a single crystal. They are cute for the evening and not too OTT. Available at Lane Crawford, IFC Mall, Central, Hong Kong, tel: +852 21188 3388.
5) Sergio Rossi Cleo sandals (HK$2,410): I love these so much that I actually own a pair. These are as luxe as jelly sandals can get with a PVC bottom and delicate leather sole and straps. I have the nude/black version but there are other colours such as blue and bubblegum pink. Available at Sergio Rossi, Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2918 0872.
6) Jimmy Choo Morse flats (HK$1,850): While I am a big fan of showing off my beautifully pedicured feet during holiday, there are times when your nailpolish starts to come off, especially when you are spending hours in the ocean. These ballerina flats are simple and come in a range of fun, colourful shades. Available at Jimmy Choo, The Landmark, Central, Hong Kong, tel:+852 2525 6068.
7) Melissa Seduce flats: OK, so these aren’t available here but I love this style because it reminds me of my last pair (from Pedder Red) which I wore for two years running. You can’t go wrong with beige and the butterfly detail is a nice summery touch, no? www.melissa.com.br