A few of my favourite travel things from (top left, clockwise): Mischa, Smythson, Goyard, Aspinal of London, Longchamp and Celine.
I have been travelling so much lately that I now have my carry on pre-packed and ready to go incase I need to hop on a plane. While I have never been one to splurge on luggage -I prefer the practicality of Rimowa to Louis Vuitton’s trunks, although they are beautiful – I do like to spoil myself with travel accessories such as passport holders, pouches and totes. Although some people think they are useless, I use mine constantly. So in case you are looking to update your travel essentials this summer, below are some of my favourite items.
1) Mischa’s Overnighter bag (HK$1,380): Mischa designer Michelle Lai was onto a winner when she launched their fun signature print last year. This summer she’s expanded the series by adding the brand’s first piece of luggage, a stylish zip-up carry on with two outside pockets. I love the new colour combinations, and the canvas is coated with waterproof coating so its super durable. Available at Lane Crawford, IFC Mall, Central, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2118 3388.
2) Smythson Passport Cover with Side Closure: Although I prefer a travel wallet, a stylish passport cover is indispensible if you travel with a small handbag. While Smythson is known for its covers for different countries, I prefer this plain style in a bright shade of yellow. You can find it easily in your bag and the white closure is a nice touch. www.smythson.com.
3) Goyard Marquises bag (HK$17,400 to HK$22,600): I love Goyard’s Saint Louis tote but don’t carry it on the plane because it doesn’t have a zipper. Fortunately they have just released a similar style that’s way more practical with a structured shape and , wait for it, a zipper. The wood detail on the handles is a nice touch. Available at Goyard, Shop E10, The Peninsula, Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2722 0398.
4) Aspinal Classic Travel Wallet: I got this as a birthday gift several years ago and love it. It comes in several colours (I have classic beige) and is super roomy. It has several compartments for your boarding pass, e-ticket and a zippered pouch for loose change. They also offer a monogramming service. www.aspinaloflondon.com.
5) Longchamp x Jeremy Scott Pill Pliage (HK$2,380): I am a huge fan of Longchamp’s Pliage bags – they are lightweight, can be folded away for easy storage and are super durable. Recently I have been eyeing their limited collection of bags designed by British designer Jeremy Scott. These collectibles always feature a fun quirky print – this season its pills – but still have the same functional qualities of the regular Pliage bags. Available at Longchamp, 8 Queen’s Road Central, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2167 8899.
6) Celine lambskin pouch (HK$3,350): Nothing is chicer or most useful than this pouch – on the plane it holds my ipod and other bits and bobs, and once I get to my destination it doubles as an evening clutch. Plus pouches are super trendy right now. The leather is super soft and there are plenty of colour combinations to choose from. Available from Celine, The Landmark, Central, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2525 1281.