Bags from (top left, clockwise): Alexander Wang, Chanel, Victoria Beckham, Celine, Mulberry and Daryl K
The new fashion colour everyone is talking about is burgundy. Otherwise referred to as cognac or merlot, it’s similar to the red shade that Cartier used to use in the old days and has a vintage look and rich brown undertones. It matches perfectly with this season’s 1940s looks and is just as timeless and elegant as black or white. Here are a few of my favourite red bags.
1) Alexander Wang Lydia clutch (US$460): This envelope clutch looks chic and won’t break the bank. It’s made from Ostrich skin and has a nice texture which stops it from looking too old-fashioned. The handy wristlet is also a nice touch.
2) Chanel’s Le Boy bag (HK$28,000): Worn as a shoulder or crossbody bag, this style is different to other Chanel styles with its boy-meets-girl look. I love the gold lock in the front – it’s a nice Asian touch. Available at Chanel, Prince’s Building, Central, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2810 0978.
3) Victoria Beckham’s structured leather tote (1979 pounds sterling): I secretly want to own one of Victoria Beckham’s bags because they are minimalist yet luxe. And who needs a Birkin when you can have this elegant yet roomy tote with understated gold hardware? A selection is also available at On Pedder, New World Tower, Queen’s Road Central, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2118 3489.
4) Celine’s cabas shearling havana (HK$18,000): If you don’t already own one of Celine’s cabas bags, you should. They are so practical, light and easy to carry. I love the furry texture of this new style which is made from cosey shearling contrasted with leather. Available at Celine, The Landmark, Central, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2525 1281.
5) Mulberry’s Small Polly Push Lock in Conker Shiny Grain (HK$9,050): If you are looking for something with a retro vibe, then this fits the bill. It features a push lock and can be carried like a tote or worn across the body. Available at Mulberry, Shop 1041, Elements, Kowloon Station, Hong Kong, tel: +852 2196 8280.
6) Daryl K’s Shakelton bag (US$895): I am kinda digging this slim satchel-cum-messenger with its sleek lines and textured leather. It has an adjustable shoulder strap and the attached wristlet case can be removed. Be warned though – it’s very small!
Cheap and chic find: