Who doesn’t love to steal a clothes from their boyfriend’s closet? While androgyny has always been a popular trend (Katherine Hepburn was doing it decades ago), it reached its peak this season. This time round the look ranges from grungy to rock ‘n’ roll.
Here are 6 essential items you need to own if you want to man-up this autumn…
1) A Tuxedo: There’s nothing sexier than a woman in a tux (head to Yves Saint Laurent for their Le Smoking or Michael Kors for a chic evening version). Which brings me to my next point…
2) A blazer: If you don’t already own one, you need to invest in a really beautifully tailored men’s wear style jacket. Stella McCartney is a firm favourite, as is Margiela and McQueen. For cheap and chic, try Zara.
3) Tailored trousers: Take cues from Marlene Dietrech and Ines de la Fressange and buy a pair of wide legged tailored trousers. Pair them with a loose silk blouse for a cool boy-meets-girl look.
4) A pair of brogues or loafers: While brogues are already a wardrobe staple, this season sees every designer reinterpret the men’s loafer for women. Go flat or opt for a high heeled style with a chunky block heel.
5) Rock tees: Nothing says I am one of the boys more than a vintage Rock tee. When I say vintage I mean real vintage, not a faux version you picked up at a designer store.
6) A crisp, white button-down shirt: Jil Sander coined this look years ago and it still works today. Wear it loose and untucked (no fitted styles) with a pair of skinny jeans for a rock look. Uniqlo has some great styles.
Try and avoid:
Lumberjack shirts – yes checks are in but you are taking it one step too far.
Fedoras – unless you are inherently cool (or are willing to be mocked).
Braces and bowties – see above.
The boyfriend jean – when worn correctly it can look very cool – ie low on the hips, with the bottoms turned up. If it’s too baggy you run the risk of looking like MC Hammer.