Clockwise from top left: Bags from Yves Saint Laurent, Phillip Lim, Celine, Fendi, Miu Miu and Proenza Schouler
Like everyone else out there, I am looking for a new summer handbag. While I love the idea of something in white, it’s not always practical especially on a handbag. But where there is a will, there is a way. Instead I will be investing in a tote that comes in a summery but user-friendly combination of cream and tan. It’s the neutral take on this season’s colour blocking trend, is easy to match and looks just as chic. Plus you won’t spot the dirt marks so easily. Below are some of my top picks.
1) Celine luggage tote in leather and linen: A friend of mine was carrying this recently and I fell in love. It’s an updated shape of the original luggage tote in that it’s less bulky and has longer straps so you can easily pop it over your shoulders. Unfortunately its not available in Hong Kong but call the boutique to see if you can order it (tel: 2525 1281).
2) Phillip Lim Duncan Tote : OK so while this style may not set your pulses racing it has all the hallmarks of a timeless handbag – its roomy, functional, durable and features small fashion details (the bottom and handles come in contrasting tan leather). I’m not the only who thinks so as its sold out everywhere, except at La Garconne.
3) Proenza Schouler PS1 in linen and leather : When I first spotted the PS1 years ago I wanted to buy it and didn’t (and am now kicking myself as it’s way more expensive). I love their summer version in white canvas contrasted with black and tan leather. It also comes with a long handle for easy carrying. If you can’t find it, any light colour will do as this is bag is a keeper.
4) YSL Chyc canvas and leather bag : Again, this is another shape that will last forever (Hermes Constance anyone?) While it may not be as practical due to its small size it is the perfect summer evening bag. Imagine pairing it with a white Le Smoking? Enough said!
5) Miu Miu Leather Trimmed Raffia tote : Miu Miu is always a crowd pleaser cause its young, fun and a good price point. Raffia is also a big trend this summer (bags made from natural fabrics are a must-have) and this is one of the chicest versions I’ve spotted so far.
6) Fendi linen Peekaboo bag: This is for all you label lovers out there. The Peekaboo is one of those shapes that you will hand down to your kids. While I would prefer it if the canvas didn’t have the F logo splashedd all over it, its still a timeless bag and great for women on the go (its fits a laptop easily).
And my cheap and chic pick:
7) BDG Canvas Satchel (not pictured): cheap thrill of the week! I had to include this as its so reasonably priced and so versatile. I have a thing for satchels recently, maybe beacuse I love the idea of hands free shopping?