Clockwise from top left: Miu Miu, Kate Spade, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Prada, Roger Vivier and Kotur
So maybe it had a little bit to do with Kate Moss telling me that her straw tote was her favourite summer handbag (she also modelled one of her collections for Longchamp around the very same bag), but now I am on a lookout for a designer version. I do have a casual style for the beach that I picked up from Ralph Lauren a few summers ago, but this time round I want something that I can use in the city as well. It needs to be large enough for my essentials, versatile enough to go from day to night and feature those special details that give the style an understated luxe factor.
If straw is not your bag (pardon the pun), don’t worry. Natural fabrics are de rigeur this season so you can always go for an alternative like raffia or wicker which has a more structured shape . For something super luxe, head to Dior where they created a special weave from silk that resembles straw. Below are my top designer picks this season for straw bags and more.
1) Miu Miu straw bag (HK$7,950): This style is a classic that you will wear for years and years so is worth the investment. The white leather handles make a nice contrast and are large enough to fit comfortably over your shoulders. I am sold. Available at Miu Miu, The Landmark, Central, Hong Kong, tel: 2523 7833.
2) Kate Spade Cherry Valley Kyra (HK$2,200): Ok so this isn’t exactly large enough but I like this clutch bag because it has a hard shell thanks to the wicker. The neon green accents are bang on trend. The oversized stud closure is a luxe touch. Available at Kate Spade, IFC Mall, Central, Hong Kong, tel: 3188 1928.
3) Marc by Marc Jacobs Preppy Straw Rosa tote (HK$1,690) : This season is all about pops of bright colour and this style ticks off the trend without looking too bold or bright. The shape makes it great for the beach or a day of shopping in the city. And if the price is right…Available at Marc by Marc Jacobs, The Landmark, Central, Hon Kong, tel: 2868 9782.
4) Prada madras bag (HK$21,000): The neutral colour palette on this large tote means that you can match it with almost anything. It also comes with a long strap so you can wear it as a crossbody. It’s also super luxe as its made from a mix of woven leather and straw. Available at Prada, Alexandra House, Central, Hong Kong, tel: 2522 2989.
5) Roger Vivier Clutch Cubiste (HK$8,400): This is my favourite because of its sleek, minimalist design. There’s also the understated luxe details – a muted brass buckle and slick leather trim. Available at Roger Vivier, The Landmark, Central, Hong Kong, tel: 2810 8690.
6) Kotur’s Ross Balinese straw tote (HK$6,700): I can personally attest to the usefulness of this bag as I own it in leather. It’s roomy enough to hold a laptop and features handles and a long strap. It’s available with teal or coral accents, which are subtle but chic. Available at www.koturltd.com